Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Jacob T. Marley

This one started out a bit on the dull side. I was not too thrilled in the first few chapters, but then, it changed. Maybe my spirit changed or my attitude changed, I am not sure. All I know is that by the end I wished it would not and I found a small tear in my eye and a pledge to do better with my life within my heart.

That is high praise for such a small book. But I stand behind it.

The character of Marley has not drawn a lot of attention over the years but the author does a great job of showing us how he became Marley and more important how he influenced Scrooge to become Scrooge.

The first part of the story deals with Marley and his start in life. While it was enjoyable enough the real joy of the book came when he met Scrooge and then grew as Marley's  part in the story we all know so well with the spirits was played out.

The author was able to add this without taking away from the magic of Dickens original writing and it was here I found myself lost in the book. (That has not happened for quite awhile with me and it was a welcome feeling).

The end of the book, where the author talks about Scrooge in later life was treated with respect to the original writer. I appreciate that intent. This too touched my heart and made me want to do better in my dealings with my fellow man.

I highly recommend this to anyone at any time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment