Monday, February 6, 2012

One Second After

I picked this up on a whim based on the back cover description.
Set in a small town it follows what happens to the town after someone (never find out who exactly) set off 3 EMP bombs across the USA.
The bombs basically fries all the electrical items in our everyday lives.
No power, no cars (except really old ones) no medical, no radio or communication with anyone.
I was greatly is appointed. The phrase "Show don't tell" that I hear in every writing workshop or book on writing I have ever read seems to have been lost on this author.
The book seemed to be one meeting after another reporting on deaths, fights, rumors. Even the deaths of some main people happened "off screen"
The main character is a ex-soldier (of course). I found him to be a punk.
He spent most the book thinking on 3 things, His daugther who has diabetes and will die without insulin, how physicaly attracted he is to a stranded woman from the freeway and how great his next smoke will be. His smoking seems to make everything better for him.

I cannot reccommend this to anyone....

No comments:

Post a Comment