Monday, November 21, 2011

Dr. No

This is my first time reading James Bond. I almost stopped reading the book about 1/2 way through being sort of bored. I am glad I held on and finished it.
The first half of the book sounded like a travel brochure for Jamaica. A lot of filler description to get word count up I thought but then i remembered that this was written in 1958. Most of the readers had never even herd of Jamaica let alone seen pictures or things. A totally different time in the world.
As for the story. Not a hold your breath plot line but OK. No fancy gadgets for Bond just his wits.
Another thing that came to mind is the image of Cr. No. A pure evil type person that sounded almost part robot. How scary was he in 1958 before our senses had been toughened up with all of evil we have seen both real and in the media.
I will try another Bond novel in a few months since most reviews state that this is not one of his best...

No comments:

Post a Comment